- •The small size of nanoparticles provides a greater surface area leading to increased reactivity and alters their physicochemical, mechanical and antibacterial properties.
- •Nanoparticles can be derived from ceramics, polymers and metals.
- •Nanoparticles can be incorporated in materials to serve as antimicrobials, to reinforce and to regenerate tissues.
- •In orthodontics, surface coatings on appliances and incorporation into materials demonstrates good antimicrobial activity.
- •While nanomaterials are used in routine clinical practice in other fields of dentistry, they are yet to be incorporated into routine orthodontic protocols.
Nanotechnology is a technological revolution that has captured the imagination of the scientific world over the past few decades. This is probably one of the most rapidly advancing fronts in recent times and has wide application in various arenas including health care. Nano dentistry is a emerging field which has seen exponential research with several nanoparticles being incorporated into numerous dental materials thus enhancing their properties. While many of these developments are in the experimental stage, some have already been applied to clinical practice. In Orthodontics, nanomaterials have been researched for their antimicrobial properties, to reinforce materials and might be gaining an entry into therapeutics. This review will give an insight into the various applications of nanotechnology in orthodontics, a status on current prevalent applications and emerging futuristic trends.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Orthodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Nanodentistry: a paradigm shift-from fiction to reality.J Indian Prosthodontic Soc. 2011; 11 (Mar): 1-6
- Comparative assessment of nanomaterial definitions and safety evaluation considerations.Regul Toxicol Pharm. 2015; 73 (Oct 1): 137-150
- An overview of recent progress in dental applications of zinc oxide nanoparticles.RSC Adv. 2021; 11: 21189-21206
- Dental Applications of Nanotechnology.Springer, 2018: 277https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-97634-1
- J Nanobiotechnol. 2017; 15: 1-20
- Nanotechnology-based materials as emerging trends for dental applications.Rev Adv Mater Sci. 2021; 60 (Jan 1): 173-189
- Nanoparticles and the control of oral biofilms. Chaper 10.Nanobiomaterials in Clinical Dentistry. Elsevier, 2019: 243-275 (Jan 1)
- Biol Trace Elem Res. 2019; : 1-19
- J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2017; 17: 2235-2255
- The last decade in orthodontics: a scoping review of the hits, misses and the near misses!.in: InSeminars in Orthodontics. 25. WB Saunders, 2019: 339-355 (Dec 1)
- Marsh & Martin's Oral Microbiology.6th ed. Churchill Livingstone, 2016
- Demineralized white spot lesions: an unmet challenge for orthodontists.in: InSeminars in Orthodontics. 22. WB Saunders, 2016: 193-204 (Sep 1)
- Orthodontic fixed appliance and periodontal status: an updated systematic review.Open Dent J. 2018; 12: 614
- Application of antibacterial nanoparticles in orthodontic materials.Nanotechnol Rev. 2022; 11 (Jan 1): 2433-2450
- The effect of nitrogen-doped titanium dioxide–modified stainless steel brackets on Streptococcus mutans: a randomized clinical trial.Angle Orthod. 2022; 92 (May): 396-401
- Long-term antimicrobial assessment of orthodontic brackets coated with nitrogen-doped titanium dioxide against Streptococcus mutans.Prog Orthod. 2018; 19: 35
- Preparation of an orthodontic bracket coated with an nitrogen-doped TiO2 - xNy thin film and examination of its antimicrobial perfor- mance.Dent Mater J. 2013; 32: 311-316
- Report: discussion on the development of nano Ag/TiO2 coating bracket and its antibacterial property and biocompatibility in orthodontic treatment.Pak J Pharm Sci. 2015; 28 (Suppl): 807-810
- J Dent. 2015; 16: 200
- Antimicrobial effect, frictional resistance, and surface roughness of stainless steel orthodontic brackets coated with nanofilms of silver and titanium oxide: a preliminary study.Microsc Res Tech. 2017; 80: 599-607
- Assessment of antibacterial and cytotoxic effects of orthodontic stainless steel brackets coated with different phases of titanium oxide: an in-vitro study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017; 151 (Apr 1): 678-684
- Silver nanoparticles in orthodontics, a new alternative in bacterial inhibition: in vitro study.Prog Orthod. 2020; 21: 24
- Antiadherent and antibacterial properties of stainless steel and NiTi orthodontic wires coated with silver against Lactobacillus acidophilus – an in vitro study.Prog Orthod. 2015; 16: 40
- Zinc-oxide nanocoating for improvement of the antibacterial and frictional behavior of nickel-titanium alloy.Nanomedicine. 2016; 11: 2511-2527
- Evaluation of zinc-oxide nanocoating on the characteristics and antibacterial behavior of nickel-titanium alloy.Dental Press J Orthod. 2020; 25: 51-58
- Antibacterial nanosilver coated orthodontic bands with potential implications in dentistry.Ind J Med Res. 2016; 144: 580-586
- Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles on orthodontic elastomeric modules: evaluation of mechanical and antibacterial properties.Molecules. 2017; 22: 1407
- Incorporation of silver nanoparticles on the surface of orthodontic microimplants to achieve antimicrobial properties.Korean J Orthod. 2017; 47: 3-10
- Mussel adhesive mimetic silk sericin prepared by enzymatic oxidation for the construction of antibacterial coatings.ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 2021; 7: 3379-3388
- Assessment of antimicrobial activity and cytotoxic effect of green mediated silver nanoparticles and its coating onto mini-implants.Ann Phytomedicine. 2020; 9: 207-212
- The antimicrobial effect of doxycycline and doped ZnO in TiO2 nanotubes synthesized on the surface of orthodontic mini-implants.APOS Trends Orthod. 2022; 12: 162-167
- Comparison of antimicrobial effect of selenium nanoparticles and silver nanoparticles coated orthodontic mini-implants-an in vitro study.APOS Trends Orthod. 2022; 12: 20-26
- Biological safe gold nanoparticle-modified dental aligner prevents the Porphyromonas gingivalis biofilm formation.ACS Omega. 2020; 5: 18685-18692
- Antimicrobial efficacy of zinc oxide nanoparticle-coated aligners on Streptococcus mutans and Candida albicans.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; (Nov 19)
- Nanoparticles in orthodontics, a review of antimicrobial and anti-caries applications.Acta Odontol Scand. 2014; 72 (Aug 1): 413-417
- Nanomaterials application in orthodontics.Nanomaterials. 2021; 11 (Jan 28): 337
- Development of long-term antimicrobial poly(methyl methacrylate) by incorporating mesoporous silica nanocarriers.Dent Mater. 2016; 32: 1564-1574
- Effects of baseplates of orthodontic appliances with in situ generated silver nanoparticles on cariogenic bacteria: a randomized, double-blind cross-over clinical trial.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2015; 16: 291-298
- Streptococcus mutans counts in patients wearing removable retainers with silver nanoparticles vs those wearing conventional retainers: a randomized clinical trial.Am J Orthod Dent Orthop. 2016; 149: 155-160
- Antibacterial activity and bond strength of silver nanoparticles modified orthodontic bracket adhesive: a systematic review and meta-analysis of in-vitro and in-vivo studies.Int J Adhes Adhes. 2022; 113 (Mar 1)103040
- Does the addition of zinc oxide nanoparticles improve the antibacterial properties of direct dental composite resins? A systematic review.Materials. 2020; 14 (Dec 24): 40
- Microleakage under orthodontic bands cemented with nano-hydroxyapatite-modified glass ionomer: an in vivo study.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 981-986
- Evaluation of titanium dioxide coating on surface roughness of nickel-titanium archwires and its influence on Streptococcus mutans adhesion and enamel mineralization: a prospective clinical study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 158: 199-208
- Effects of TiO2-coated stainless steel orthodontic wires on Streptococcus mutans bacteria: a clinical study.Int J Nanomedicine. 2020; 15 (Nov 10): 8759-8766
- Effect of the addition of Chitosan and TiO2 nanoparticles on antibacterial properties of an orthodontic composite in fixed orthodontic treatment: a randomized clinical trial study.Biomed Phys Eng Express. 2021; 7 (Jun 7)045017
- Bionic effects of nano hydroxyapatite dentifrice on demineralised surface of enamel post orthodontic debonding: in-vivo split mouth study.Prog Orthod. 2021; 22: 39
- Effect of calcium fluoride nanoparticles in prevention of demineralization during orthodontic fixed appliance treatment: a randomized clinical trial.Eur J Orthod. 2022;
- Effect of nanoparticle coatings on frictional resistance of orthodontic archwires: a systematic review and meta-analysis.World. 2022; 13
- Compositions and structural geometries of scaffolds used in the regeneration of cleft palates: a review of the literature.Polymers. 2022; 14 (Jan 28): 547
- Health concerns of various nanoparticles: a review of their in vitro and in vivo toxicity.Nanomaterials. 2018; 8 (Aug 21): 634
Published online: January 31, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.