Recent digital technological advancements in orthodontics have streamlined the surgery-first orthognathic approach (SFOA). Currently, it is established that simulation of complex surgical movements can be done digitally. However, there is lack of clarity on clinical protocols employed in Clear Aligner Treatment (CAT) for the management of Surgery-First Orthognathic Approach (SFOA). The primary objective of this article is to provide an, in-depth, answer to this question. This is a first-of-its-kind article that effectively utilizes clinical scenarios and case reports to meticulously describe the requirements of presurgical orthodontics, protocols during surgery, and post-surgery commencement of aligner-orthodontics in three dimensions (transverse,vertical and sagittal), along with clinical tips, dos, and don'ts.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Orthodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- TIP, TORQUE & ROTATIONS: how accurately do digital superimposition software packages quantify tooth movement?.Prog Orthod. 2022; 23: 1-10
- Effect of clear aligner wear protocol on the efficacy of tooth movement: a randomized clinical trial.Angle Orthod. 2021; 91: 157-163
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning of Surgery-First Orthognathic Approach Surgery-First Orthodontic Management.Springer, 2019: 7-14
- Surgery-First Orthognathic Approach Treatment Protocol: Orthodontic Considerations Surgery-First Orthodontic Management.Springer, 2019: 37-50
- The Last Decade in Orthodontics: A Scoping Review Of The Hits, Misses And The Near Misses! Seminars in.Elsevier, Orthodontics2019: 339-355
- Comparing outcomes in orthognathic surgery using clear aligners versus conventional fixed appliances.J Craniofac Surg. 2019; 30: 1488-1491
- Traitement orthognathique et aligneurs, quel protocole?.Orthod Française. 2021; 92
- Considerations for treatment of patients undergoing orthognathic surgery using clear aligners.AJO-DO Clin Companion. 2022;
- Lets talk ALIGNers! APOS.Trends Orthod. 2016; 6 (-177): 177
- Orthognathic surgery in a patient with clear aligners and veneers: options for interim fixation and early elastic physiotherapy—case report.Craniomaxillofacial Trauma Reconstr Open. 2020; 52472751220949405
- Outcomes of clear aligner treatment with and without dental monitoring: a retrospective cohort study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2021; 159: 453-459
- Clinical outcomes and patient perspectives of Dental Monitoring® GoLive® with Invisalign®—a retrospective cohort study.Prog Orthod. 2020; 21: 1-7
- Has Invisalign improved? A prospective follow-up study on the efficacy of tooth movement with Invisalign.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 158: 420-425
- Customized adjuncts with clear aligner therapy:“The Golden Circle Model” explained!.J World Federation Orthod. 2022;
- Surgery-first orthognathic approach: A “scoping review” for mapping outcomes and plausible recommendations to develop core outcome sets.APOS Trends Orthod. 2019; 9: 77-88
Published online: December 08, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.