Surgery first is an option in orthognathic surgery that meets the demands of patients with dentofacial deformity looking for an expedited solution to their esthetic concerns. These cosmetically driven patients are also looking to maximize facial esthetics with the surgical procedures. Ancillary surgical procedures such as implants in the malar region, mandibular angle region, and chin are some of the options to enhance the surgical result. Fat grafting and submental lipectomy are also minimally invasive procedures that can add volume in certain areas of the face and reduce in others such as the submental region to achieve better facial contours. Rhinoplasty also is a major cosmetic adjunct to orthognathic surgery that often is done in an asynchronous manner to enhance facial esthetics. In some instances, rhinoplasty is required to correct the undesired soft tissue effects in the nasomaxillary complex with orthognathic surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Orthodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessment of the occlusal outcomes in patients treated with orthognathic surgery and clear aligners.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2022;
- Attractiveness, acceptability, and value of orthodontic appliances.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2009; 135 (e271-212; discussion 276-277): 276
- Surgery-first approach in the orthognathic patient.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2020; 32: 89-103
- Effect of fat grafting on postoperative edema after orthognathic surgery.J Craniofac Surg. 2019; 30: 698-702
- Fat Grafting.in: Steinbacher DM Aesthetic Orthognathic Surgery and Rhinoplasty. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ2019: 547-558
- Fat grafting in orthognathic surgery.J Craniofac Surg. 2019; 30: 639-643
- Autologous fat transfer for esthetic contouring of face in posttraumatic nonfunctional maxillofacial deformities.Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2016; 9: 113-120
- Aesthetic facial surgery and orthodontics: common goals.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2020; 32: 153-165
- Alloplastic malar implants in aesthetic facial surgery.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2022; 30: 286-289
- Aesthetic adjuncts with orthognathic surgery.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2014; 26: 573-585
- Personal (Self) Perceptions of submental fat among adults in the United States.Dermatol Surg. 2019; 45: 124-130
- Orthognathic surgery and rhinoplasty: simultaneous or staged?.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018; 141: 322-329
- Three-dimensional Nasolabial morphologic alterations following Le Fort I.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016; 4: e848
- Rhinoplasty and orthognathic surgery.in: Steinbacher DM Aesthetic Orthognathic Surgery and Rhinoplasty. ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken, NJ2019: 447-487
Published online: December 02, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.