Indirect bonding (IDB) of brackets was introduced over half a century ago. Orthodontists are polarized on adopting this technique mostly because of tedious process of fabricating trays and technique sensitive nature of this protocol. Integration of digital treatment planning software packages along with user-friendly desktop 3D printing solutions transformed the traditional IDB technique into the digital indirect bonding technique with 3D printed trays. The main advantages of digital IDB technique are positioning brackets based on a simulated treatment outcome and eliminating many tedious steps in fabricating IDB trays. This article reviews the current state of digital indirect bonding, highlights factors that are important in a successful digital IDB protocol, and advantages of digital indirect bonding technique.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Orthodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effectiveness of clear aligner therapy for orthodontic treatment: a systematic review.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019; (October)
- Computer-assisted orthodontic treatment: the SureSmile process.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001; 120: 85-87
- 25 years history data on Brackets vs Aligners.Partner, Bentson Copple & Associates. Presentation – Orthodontic market, 2022
- Preadjusted edgewise appliances: theory and practice.Am J Orthod. 1978; 73: 485-498
- A universal direct bonding system for both metal and plastic brackets.Am J Orthod. 1972; 62: 236-244
- The indirect bonding technique in orthodontics-a narrative literature review.Materials. 2020; 13
- Direct and indirect bonding techniques: a systematic review.Pesquisa Brasileira Em Odontopediatria E Clinica Integrada. 2021; 21
- Clinical outcomes for patients finished with the SureSmileTM method compared with conventional fixed orthodontic therapy.Angle Orthod. 2011; 81: 383-388
- Roth versus MBT: does bracket prescription have an effect on the subjective outcome of pre-adjusted edgewise treatment?.Eur J Orthod. 2013; 35: 236-243
- Accuracy of 3-Dimensional printed bracket transfer tray using an in-office indirect bonding system.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; 162 (e1): 93-102
Published online: October 26, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.