The goal of this resident survey study was to investigate preparedness among orthodontic residents in providing orthodontic treatment with clear aligners and manage the digital workflow for in-house fabrication of clear aligners.
A survey questionnaire was emailed to all active AAO resident members which included recent graduates of 2021 (n=1,124) to evaluate didactic education, clinical experience, confidence levels and the residents' future practice plans with regards to clear aligner therapy. Inferential statistics were restricted to bivariate analysis employing Pearson's chi-square tests, CMH tests, and unpaired Student's t-test (p=0.05).
A total of 277 Orthodontic residents responded to the survey, with an overall response rate of 25%. Nearly 50% of the residents did not receive didactic classes on clear aligner therapy or fabrication. About 13-17% of the respondents did not have access to CBCT, digital teeth alignment software or 3D printed models. A significant decrease in confidence was found among residents who did not receive this training in their residency programs.
Based on the findings of our survey, thorough training and education of the technology used in clear aligner therapy has the potential to improve residents' confidence and competence in utilizing 3D technology and clear aligners in their future practice.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Orthodontics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Invisible orthodontics part 1: invisalign.Dent Update. 2013; 40 (207-210, 213-205): 203-204https://doi.org/10.12968/denu.2013.40.3.203
- Coordinating the predetermined pattern and tooth positioner with conventional treatment.Am J Orthod Oral Surg. 1946; 32: 285-293https://doi.org/10.1016/0096-6347(46)90053-1
- Essix retainers: fabrication and supervision for permanent retention.J Clin Orthod. 1993; 27: 37-45
- Accuracy of Tooth Movement with In-House Clear Aligners.J World Fed Orthod. 2021; 10: 177-182https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejwf.2021.08.003
- Direct 3D printing of clear orthodontic aligners: current state and future possibilities.Materials (Basel). 2021; : 14https://doi.org/10.3390/ma14071799
Clear Aligners Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Age (Adults, Teens), By End-use (Hospitals, Standalone Practices, Group Practices), By Region, And Segment Forecasts, 2022 - 2030. GRAND VIEW RESEARCH - MARKET RESEARCH REPORTS Report ID: GVR-4-68038-960-9, 100 (2022).
- Clear aligners in orthodontic treatment.Aust Dent J. 2017; 62 (Suppl): 58-62https://doi.org/10.1111/adj.12480
- In-house aligners: why we should fabricate aligners in our clinics?.Turk J Orthod. 2021; 34: 199-201https://doi.org/10.5152/TurkJOrthod.2021.21157
- Digital Workflow for Homemade Aligner.in: Bourzgui F. Current Trends. editor. Orthodontics, 2021
- Understanding technology adoption by orthodontists: a qualitative study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2019; 155: 432-442https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2018.08.018
- Treatment management between orthodontists and general practitioners performing clear aligner therapy.Angle Orthod. 2017; 87: 432-439https://doi.org/10.2319/062616-500.1
- Mechanical and geometric properties of thermoformed and 3D printed clear dental aligners.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2019; 156: 694-701https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2019.05.012
- 3D printing of clear orthodontic aligners: where we are and where we are going.Materials (Basel). 2020; : 13https://doi.org/10.3390/ma13225204
- Three-dimensional-printed customized orthodontic and pedodontic appliances: a critical review of a new era for treatment.Children (Basel). 2022; : 9https://doi.org/10.3390/children9081107
- Study of 3D scanning technologies and scanners in orthodontics.in: Materials Today: Proceedings. 2022https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2022.01.064
- Trends in the use of 3D printing technology among practicing orthodontists and orthodontic residency programs.J Clin Orthod. 2021; 55: 413-418
Published online: October 17, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.